Current Restoration Projects


UH-1D Iroquois "slick" 65-09584

Manufactured by Bell Helicopter in 1965, Huey 65-09584 ("584") deployed to Vietnam early the following year with the 173rd Assault Helicopter Co. Robin Hoods; it was the very first helicopter of the serial block issued to this unit. Huey 584 was flown as a "slick"—the designation given to troop transports because they lacked the bulging weapons platforms carried by gunships—in 1966 until a crash onto an active LZ ended its combat career. Its sister ship and replacement, UH-1H 091, is currently on display at the Smithsonian Institution.    

(Left) "Slicks" of the 173rd AHC Robin Hoods pick up troops north of Saigon circa 1966/67. (Photo courtesy of Matthew Griffin.) 


UH-1B gunship 64-13948

Huey 948 served in combat throughout many of the years of American involvement in the Vietnam War, rotating through several units and seeing intense action between 1966-72. This helicopter is closely associated with the 120th Assault Helicopter Company Razorbacks, with which it logged more than 1,400 mission hours. Huey 948 later flew special operations missions in the Mekong Delta with the navy HA(L)-3 Seawolves. After the war, 948 starred in the Arnold Schwarzenegger action film Terminator 2.   

(Right) UH-1B 948 at Nha Be in Vietnam in 1971 while assigned to the 120th AHC Razorbacks. (Photo courtesy of Razorbacks Armed Helicopters Association.)  


UH-1V medevac 74-22524

Completed near the end of the Vietnam War, “524" was among the last single-engine Hueys ever produced. Built as a  standard UH-1H, this helicopter was later converted to UH-1V (medevac) configuration with the installation of avionics upgrades and rescue  equipment. UH-1V 524 was operated by a number of army units, eventually  ending up in the 832nd Air Ambulance Company of the Wisconsin National Guard.  The 832nd flew this Huey from the late 1990s until  its adoption of the more modern UH-60 Blackhawk in mid-2009.     

(Left) UH-1V 524 delivers an injured US Forest Service firefighter to a Missoula, MT trauma center in September, 2003.  (Photo courtesy of Peter Emerson)